The Strategy Sessions Reading List
On each of the Strategy Sessions shows, the guests are asked to recommend a book or blog for the listeners.
This page keeps a track of all those books, blogs and videos with handy links so you can easily and quickly find them.
Please note that some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. That means we may make a small commission if you click on the link and buy something, but the cost to you will be the same.
Nothing, not one single thing, on this page will be included for the sake of making money - anything on this page is a recommendation from a guest on the show.
The Reading List
As this list grows, it might get organised in a different way. Please send ideas on a postcard if you know the best way to do it!
Episode 18: Kyle Lacy
- Alchemy: The Surprising Power of Ideas That Don't Make Sense by Rory Sutherland
- The House of Morgan: An American Banking Dynasty and the Rise of Modern Finance by Ron Chernow
- Rhythm: How to Achieve Breakthrough Execution and Accelerate Growth by Patrick Thean
- Lessons from the Hanoi Hilton: Six Characteristics of High Performance Teams by Taylor Baldwin Kiland and Peter Fretwell
Episode 17: Koen Pauwels
- Contagious: How to Build Word of Mouth in the Digital Age by Jonah Berger
- Beloved Brands: The playbook for how to build a brand your consumers will love by Graham Robertson
- Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success by Adam Grant
- The Hype Machine: How Social Media Disrupts Our Elections, Our Economy and Our Health – and How We Must Adapt Sinan Aral
- Empirical Generalizations about Marketing Impact by Mike Hanssen
- The Smart Marketing Book by Dan White
Episode 15: Mike Follett
- Paid Attention: Innovative Advertising for a Digital World by Faris Yakob
- Eye and Brain: The Psychology of Seeing by Richard L Gregory
- The Attention Merchants: The Epic Struggle to Get Inside Our Heads by Tim Wu
- Bob Hoffman’s ad contrarian blog http://adcontrarian.blogspot.com/
- Mark Ritson's Marketing Week column
Episode 14: Leticia Galdón
Episode 12: Luke Carthy
- Blue Array's Mastering in-house SEO
Episode 10 - April Dunford
- The Challenger Sale: How To Take Control of the Customer Conversation by Matthew Dixon
- Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind by Al Reis and Jack Trout
Episode 9 - Zaid's Al-Qassab
- Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
- Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions by Dan Ariely
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About The World - And Why Things Are Better Than You Think by Hans Rosling
- The Perils of Perception: Why We’re Wrong About Nearly Everything by Bobby Duffy
- The Long and the Short of it: Balancing Short and Long-Term Marketing Strategies by Les Binet and Peter Field you can find the best charts from the research here: https://effworks.co.uk/ten-best-charts-binet-field/
- The award winning C4 Complaints Welcome campaign is worth 90 seconds of your time.
Episode 8: Mike Winnet
Episode 7: Mick Hogan
No recommendations, just talk to people in your industry
Episode 6: Brad Paterson
Episode 5: Michael Mitchell
Episode 4: Ash McDonnell
- The Luxury Strategy: Break the Rules of Marketing to Build Luxury Brands by J N Kapferer and Vincent Bastien
- Alibaba: The House That Jack Ma Built by Duncan Clark
Episode 3: Rand Fishkin
- Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It by April Dunford
- No Hard Feelings: Emotions at Work and How They Help Us Succeed by Liz Fosslien and Mollie West Duffy
- Great By Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos and Luck - Why Some Thrive Despite Them All by Jim Collins
- And Rand’s own book, which I’m recommending not him! Lost and Founder A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World
Episode 1: Jen Hoffman
Andi's Favourite Books
- Creativity, Inc - Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration by Ed Catmull
- Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert Cialdini
- Inside the Nudge Unit: How small changes can make a big difference by David Halpern
- The Chimp Paradox - Dr Steve Peters
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right by Atul Gawande
- Mark Ritson's Marketing Week column
How Can I Listen To The Strategy Sessions Podcast?
Or you can get special bonus content (me pulling faces when I don't like the answer I hear) by watching it on the Eximo Marketing YouTube channel (or just clicking below).
And if all of that seems like too much hassle, give me your email address and I'll send it to you every fortnight.